On Wednesday, February 29, Aimee Cirucci, Eric Cortes and Jessica Lawlor presented Leap into Social Media with Gen Y, a program for senior level PPRA members.
The goal of the panel was to provide social media pointers that the senior level members could implement immediately and at little or no cost as well as share knowledge and answer questions. The discussion touched on many social media issues including how much to share, how to respond to negative comments and the best ways to utilize new tools such as Pinterest.
The social media tips and tricks shared by the panel included:
- Make sure your profile and fan page have a short, custom URL (e.g., www.facebook.com/philabar). Customize your URL by visiting www.facebook.com/username.
- For apps (such as making your YouTube channel a tab on your FB page) check our Involver at involver.com.
- Check out www.pagemodo.com to customize and design your Facebook page.
- Design a customizable Twitter background for your page.
- Draft a social media policy and link to it from all your social media profiles.
- Include feeds from Facebook/Twitter on your website.
- Post links to your Facebook albums on Twitter and LinkedIn to further integrate all of your social media pages.
- Sites like Hootsuite and Tweetdeck allow you to streamline all of your social media accounts. They make it easy to schedule messages when you will be out of the office, and to track user engagement with your posts.
- Be sure to seek out hashtags that your target audiences are following and using in their tweets.